Table lamps are flexible and have a place in nearly every room in your home. Use a table lamp to brighten up a corner and make a reading nook with your favourite chair, add some style to your dining room sideboard with a pair of statement lamps, or change the tone of your bedroom with a fresh bedside lamp. It’s up to you!
What’s not to love about table lamps? They’re a simple way to change up a room, adding flexible ambiance as well as a style statement.
There aren’t many hard guidelines for using table lamps when designing your home. Use a a table lamp anywhere you need extra light, such as:
- Add a little glamour with an unexpected lamp on your desk
- Use a table lamp to brighten up a corner and make a reading nook with your favourite chair
- Add some style to your dining room sideboard with a pair of statement lamps
- Change the mood of your bedroom with a fresh bedside lamp
- Create homey intimacy with a table lamp on the kitchen counter
Choosing the right size of table lamp
Scale is a good way to play with table lamps, since a delicate table contrasts nicely with a large, bold lamp – and the bold table lamp also works with a more solid piece of furniture.
There is one important design rule that you should follow when choosing an table lamp, though: when sitting near a table lamp, you should not be able to see the light bulb or socket.
If you can see the light bulb or socket, the lamp is too tall in relation to your furniture and people in the room will experience uncomfortable glare.
If you discover that your new table lamp is too big, you can rescue it with a larger lamp shade that hangs lower, hiding the bulb.
Looking for even more inspiration? You can also check out our Pinterest board for table lamps!